Yesterday was Biscuit Tuesday, for tose of you not following on Instagram or Facebook ‘Biscuit Tuesday’ is an activity I do with Miss H, the two year old. She picks a biscuit recipe from one of our cookbooks and I convert it to a thermomix recipe or in this case, because gingerbread men is a very common biscuit recipe I searched the thermomix recipe community for a recipe to use and used this one.
125 g unsalted butter , cubed and softened
60 g brown sugar
90 g golden syrup
250 g plain flour
30 g self raising flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tbsp currants, craisins, chocolate drops etc to decorate
1) Pre-heat oven 180°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2) Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup for 15 seconds on speed 6, scrape down sides of bowl and cream for further 10 seconds on speed 6.
3) With blades running on Speed 4, add egg through hole then mix for 5 seconds on speed 8.
5) Roll out between baking paper to approximately 5mm thickness. Refrigerate for 15 minutes then cut out shapes, place biscuits on tray. Decorate and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
hints and tips
1) Make sure you roll the dough between the bakign sheets to the size and shape of your baking tray or baking mat.
2) DO NOT skip the 15 minutes in the fridge, the dough is unworkable without it.
3) Remove the excess dough from around your biscuits rather than lifting the biscuits to place them on the baking tray, this helps them to keep their shape.
4) Let the kids cut out the biscuit shapes and do the decorating, they will know exactly which biscuits they ‘made’ and they will be the first ones eaten.