Spring is here and my has it sprung, Adelaide is experiencing the warmest start to spring ever recorded! It’s made us all whip out our shorts, mow our overgrown winter lawns and think about all the delicious summer food we tend not to eat in the colder months.
For those of you who follow me on Instragram you’ll know I am a HUGE fan of platters, I can turn just about anything into a platter component. A crucial part of every platter is the dip and what good is dip without crackers???
Here is our favourite cracker recipe, my most used variations includes mozzarella (watch it go dark and caramelize) Poppy Seeds and Parmesan and Sesame seeds. We hope you love Julie’s Savoury Oat crackers as much as we do!
PS I use a piece of clear plastic not unlike a ruler to assist me in cutting the crackers to a uniform size 😉
Savoury Oat Crackers – makes approx 100
250 g rolled oats
125 g oil
250 g water
7 g Yeast dried or (1 Sachet)
250 g Soy, Wholemeal or Plain Flour
5 g salt
20 g sesame seeds to finish
30 g fresh grated parmesan cheese
1. Mill oats 10 secs speed 8. Set aside.
2. Combine oil & water until emulsified 5 secs speed 5
3. Add yeast, then oats, flour and salt (plus grated cheese if adding) Speed 7 for 10 seconds until combined.
(mixture will be moist)
4. Knead closed lid position, 2 mins on interval speed
5. Turn onto bread mat & allow to stand in a warm place approx 20 mins until moisture is absorbed & mixture has begun to rise.
6. Divide into 4 even portions and roll out very thinly between sheets of baking paper. (if too thick they will not be crisp when cooked) Trim edges.
7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or parmesan cheese and firm down.
8. Mark into desired shapes with a knife or pizza cutter & pierce with a fork if desired.
9. Place into a cold oven, set temp to 160 C and bake approx 25 mins or until a delicate brown.
10. Turn off heat and leave to dry out thoroughly. Snap apart and store in an airtight container
Julie’s Hints and Tips
Add a couple of sundried tomatoes or 20g of roast capsicum at the kneading stage to create flavoured crackers!