It’s been a little while since Mrs T and I posted any new recipes as we’ve both been doing the Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation and LOVING IT! We’re diligently converting away as many recipes as we can but alas we are not able to share them. We can however share one of our own creations with a very low calorie count and a couple of variations! Our 12wbt spicy baked beans with egg is inspired by this Huevos Rancheros recipe from www.journalofafrenchfoodie.com
12WBT spicy baked beans
1 x 400g tin of canellini beans (Ortero brand 116 cal)
1/2 can of peeled tomatoes (La Nova brand 45 cal)
1/2 onion (20 cal)
1 clove garlic (14 cal)
1 teaspoon Olive Oil (8 cal)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (8 cal)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (10 cal)
2 serves calorie total 172 or 86 calories per person
1) Place garlic and onion in bowl and chop on Speed 7, for 3 Seconds.
2) Add olive oil and cook for 3min, 100c, speed 1.
3) Add tomatoes, cumin seeds, oregano, tomatoes and canellini beans, cook for 8 mins, reverse, speed 1, 100c.
At 86 calories per person this tasty little dish leaves you with several options, you can add a slice of wholemeal or grainy bread (around 70 cal per slice) and still have a ridiculously low calorie count. I often find that when served on bread this amount is enough for four serves. But our favourite way to eat them is the following;
Huevos Rancheros style spicy baked beans with egg
1 egg per person (approx 80 cal)
Spray olive oil (5 cal)
Handful of baby spinach leaves (40 cal)
Handful of parsley (0 cal)
Handful of coriander leaves (25 cal)
1 slice of wholegrain bread per person (approx 70 cal)
1) Lightly spray the base of your frying pan with olive oil and place your portion of the spicy baked beans in the pan on medium heat.
2) Using the back of a spoon make a hole in the bean mix for your egg and crack it in, cover with lid and cook until egg is desired consistency (I like mine with a runny yoke unlike the picture above)
3) Serve on toast topped with spinach, coriander and parsley and enjoy!
Switch the slice of bread for an extra egg
Calories for all variations
Huevos – 86 calories
Herb topping – 65 calories
Huevos (86) served on toast (70) – 156 calories
Huevos (86) served on toast (70) with herbs (65) – 221 cal
Huevos (86) with baked egg (80) on toast (70) – 236 cal
Huevos (86) with baked egg (80) on toast (70) with herb topping (65) – 301 cal
Huevos (86) with two baked eggs (160) – 246 cal
Huevos (86) with two baked eggs (160) and herb topping (65) – 311 cal
Huevos (86) with two baked eggs (160) on toast (70) – 316 cal
Huevos (86) with two baked eggs (160) and herb topping (65) on toast (70) – 381 cal
PS If anyone is thinking of doing 12WBT we HIGHLY recommend it!