If this is your first attempt at my Subway Style cookies then I strongly recommend you read the original post Raspberry, Macadamia & White Choc Chip Subway Style Cookies as it is loaded with hints and tips on how to make these little beauties AWESOME!
If you are a fan of rocky road like me you will take it anyway you can get it, ice cream, easter eggs, chocolate, slices you name it, I’ll try it rocky road style. So I was a little disappointed when I looked up rocky road cookies to discover they were all chocolate flavoured biscuits, because whilst I love chocolate, the only thing that could make cookies (biscuits) less appealing to me, is chocolate flavoured cookies . . . . .
So I did what any rocky road fan should do and used my awesome subway style cookie recipe to create rocky road subway style cookies, you’re welcome!
170g unsalted butter
150g Brown Sugar
100g Raw Sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 yolk
280g Plain Bakers Flour
1.5 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon BiCarb Soda
1 pinch salt flakes
*60g Milk Chocolate Chips or Chunks
*60g Unsalted Macadamia halves
*50g Raspberry Jellies
The Jeanette Clause
Before I post the recipes here on the website or the Facebook page I usually post teasers on my personal page. The subway style cookie pictures had several people begging for the recipe, my poor friend Jeanette was a bit worried because her family don’t like macadamias and they feature in both of my subway cookie recipes . . . want to know the reason? It’s all here in my Menu Planning post, I like to incorporate ingredients into as many dishes as possible to prevent wastage. So for those of you who like Jeanette don’t like macadamias below is a guide on how to figure out what to replace them with and how much x
* You could substitute any of these items for something different like mini marshmallows, white choc chips, peanuts or pistachios. You need to replace the same ‘volume’ of the items you are omitting and it can be a little hard to figure out based on weight, if you fill the MC 3/4 – full with your choice you will be pretty close to finding the correct amount needed for the recipe
1) Chop butter (170g) into chunks and melt at 50c, Speed 4 for 30 seconds for room temperature butter OR 90 seconds for refrigerated butter
2) Add 150g Brown Sugar and 100g Raw Sugar and mix on speed 3, 10 seconds, scrape down sides and continue mixing on speed 3 for a further 50 seconds.
3) Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and eggs (1 whole + 1 yolk) and mix on speed 3, 30 seconds.
4) Add 280g bakers flour, 1.5t cornflour, 1t bicarb and a pinch of salt flakes and mix on speed 4, 30 seconds.
5) Add in 60g of macadamia halves and 60 g of white chocolate chunks and mix on reverse for 30 seconds, speed 1 to start them immediately reduce to speed (soft)
6) Turn out dough onto baking paper and shape into log (see hints and tips for log sizes) and refridgerate for 2 hours
BAKING INSRUCTIONS FOR SUBWAY STYLE COOKIES
1) Preheat oven to 160g (small cookies) 170g (large cookies)
2) Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
3) Slice 1.5cm thick discs from dough logs and place on baking trays 5cm apart, you should get three across for small size and 2 for the large size
4) Chop up frozen berries and place by hand ontop of dough discs and place trays straight into the oven
5) Cook for 11 -13 minutes until just starting to turn golden on edges, time will vary depending on your oven’s efficiency and it’s size, oven larger 900mm ovens take a little longer than a standard 600mm oven
6) Remove from oven, they will still be very soft, cool on baking tray for 5 minutes until they start to firm up then transfer to a wire rack (a spatula may be required for large size) to cool completely
7) EAT and ENJOY!
Other versions you might like to try include