Why oh why would anyone go to all the trouble of making their own ice cream and only making half a litre of the stuff? I have no idea and I apologise that this recipe is still under a litre but when you see how easy it is to make there will be no excuse not to have home made, gourmet ice cream on hand. I’ve based this ice cream around my favourite sabayon recipe which I will post for you soon!
Replace the salted caramel and macadamias with any combination of other sauces such as honey or nutella, frozen fruit or nuts to create your own delicious combinations!
900g thickened cream
225g castor sugar
3 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean pod
Salted Caramel Sauce (made in advance and refrigerated)
100g macadamia halves
1) If making your own castor sugar, place in bowl and blitz on Speed 9, 2 seconds
2) Remove seeds from vanilla pod and add all ingredients to jug, cook 7 minutes, 80 degrees, speed 3
3) Place into two containers (half in each) and freeze for 3-4 hours
4) Make Salted Caramel Sauce to ensure it has time to cool in fridge
5) Remove salted caramel from fridge to allow it to warm up a little and remove ice cream from freezer, take out of container, cut into chunks and chop Speed 9, 20 seconds (do each container separately)
6) Then mix 10 seconds, speed 4
7) Your mix should be thick, return to the freezer container by placing a small layer on the bottom, sprinkle over some macadamia halves and ripples of salted caramel sauce, then layer more icecream mix, continue to add alternate layers until all gone. Return to the freezer for a further 3-4 hours then serve.