Nothing warms up a mid week winter meal like a home made pie! What I love most about this recipe is the stew and pastry can both be made in advance, perhaps on a Sunday cook up, then left in the fridge to be ‘pied’ on a Monday or Tuesday night.
This recipe was inspired by Masterchef judge Gary Mehigan’s Onion and Guinness Beef Pies.
Before you begin, decide what size pie dish you are using, the pastry in the this recipe is designed to sit right ontop of the stew, it won’t stay stretched across the top of a bowl, if you plan to bake it in a bowl I suggest using puff pastry. There is an excellent recipe in the EDC but I’m
busy lazy so I use store bought puff pastry.
You can serve the pie in three ways, As per Gary’s orignal recipe which uses muffin tins and places pastry on the bottom as well as top. In a large family sized pie dish (or lasagna dish) with pastry on top or in individual bowls with pastry on top only which is how I serve it.
2 Medium Brown Onions, Peeled & Halved
2 Garlic Cloves Peeled
800g Gravy Beef, cut into 2cm cubes
250ml Beef Stock
1 Sprig of Thyme (or teaspoon of dried rubbed thyme)
2 Bay Leaves
100g Mushrooms, stalks removed and quartered
Maggie Beer’s Sour Cream PASTRY
250g Flour (I use bakers, plain is fine)
200g Chilled Butter, cubed
125g Sour Cream
Milk for basting
Make Maggie Beer’s Sour Cream Pastry first;
1) Place flour and cubed butter in bowl and mix Speed 6 for 5 seconds until the mixture resembles large bread crumbs
2) Add Sour Cream and mix on speed 2 dfor 10 seconds
3) Knead on Interval Speed,1 minute, remove from bowl, wrap in glad wrap and place in fridge until stew is ready
4) Place onions and garlic in bowl and chop Speed 7, 3 Seconds
5) Add 20ml Olive Oil and cook 100c, 3minutes, Speed1
6) Add Beef, Carrot, Parsnip, Mushrooms, Stock, Guinness, Thyme & Bay Leaves and 1T of the cornflour cook 40min, 100c, Reverse Speed 1, MC Off
7) Set the oven to 180c to preheat (or as per packet directions if using store bought). Add the last 1T of cornflour and cook for a further 5min, 100c, Reverse Speed 1